Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Week 8: Social Networking

I went to several of the sites listed. Actually, I think I visited all of them, though only a few stood out to me.

My.Space is a site that I joined a long while back. My sister bullied me into getting an account since she and her daughter both had accounts, as well as my brothers kids. It's actually the only way she will write me. With great reluctance I made one. Since I live so far from my family, it was helpful for sharing photos in a slide show or just posting information. Since I have the security settings set pretty high on there, it is doubtful anyone other than family will see it.

Ning could be a great resource. However, I wasn't able to get it to work successfully at work. Ah well. Can't have everything.


RateMySpace was interesting, but I quickly grew bored looking at everyone's spaces. Though likely that is purely jealousy. I did think it was very neat how one person used one of his pieces of art as his space. Which brings out interesting questions of what your 'space' really is. Is it a physical place, or is it any place you create that is yours? Well now, that discussion could go on forever, so on to the next site...


The next one I liked was Catster. I didn't mean to like it. I thought that it would be silly and was ready to roll my eyes. But curiosity got the best of me, so I typed in diabetes in the search box and found places where other people had cats with diabetes were having a discussion. I thought it was great! When my cat was diagnosed with diabetes most people I told laughed, since it seemed so odd. It was wonderful seeing people helping each other with advice and encouragement.


I can't believe that I liked Catster the best, but I did.


No comments: